Wednesday, October 8, 2008

10 weeks phys. health: Day 3

Is it really only Day 3?

Not sure what the deal is with my body the last 3 nights, but I can't get to sleep. I lay there for hours . . . and nothing - I finally get to sleep about 1 am. So I slept in today. My kids crawled into bed with me to wake me up. (LOVE THAT). I have not worked out yet today. Maybe I will do yoga tonight to relax me.

* * *

NEW subject: Posing questions about . . .

. . . Sugar Substitutes! How do you feel about them? Frankly - I have always tried to steer away from them. Lately it is really difficult, because aspartame, sucralose, saccharin are in thousands of foods we eat all the time from the grocery store.

I have always been a huge fan of plain sugar instead of a sugar substitute. First, it tastes better to me, and I figure something that comes from the earth vs. something from a lab is definitely more healthy for you. BUT, it is a conflict for some, because if you are going to eat processed foods, light desserts, diet drinks, restaurant foods, etc. (which I do eat some of these) then the question is posed: Would you rather trade obesity for cancer and/or liver/kidney diseases(among other risks)? Hmmm! It is something to think about.

NOTE: I do need to add that diabetes is a high rising epidemic, and those with the disease can eat sweet things thanks to sugar subsitutes. However, could these lab created chemicals be a cause for the rise in the many diseases in this world?

I LOVE reading THE MIX in the Salt Lake Tribune. I get fantastic recipes and great entertainment ideas. This morning the front page article on THE MIX is about Sugar Substitutes! There is some eye opening info about Equal, Splenda, Sweet&Low, etc. It confirms the concerns I have always had about these "fake sugars." The concern it posed about sugar, was obesity. So - what would you prefer? Neither, maybe?
. . . you decide . . . check it out here: THE MIX.

Here is another article in TIME magazine about sugar substitutes.

4 comments:

Bash's said...

I'm with you on the real sugar is better than artificial sweetners. My honest opinion is anything that is provided for us by nature is good, as long as it is in MODERATION. Hard to do when everytime you turn around there is a new "low calorie, fat free, etc..." treat being offered.
I am loving your blog. Thanks!!! I am with you on eating healthier, exercising is proving to be VERY hard for me right now, some kind of mental block. But, I made my own Hummus yesterday and boy it was YUMMY!!! By making my own, it was cheaper and I reduced the fat grams (I used less Olive Oil). Thanks thanks thanks!!! Keep posting the yummy food ideas, I love it!
Sorry you're not sleeping. Maybe you could try some melatonin 15 minutes before you go to bed, it might do the trick for ya!

Amy and The Mack Pack said...

Thanks for the awesomeness in your comment! Home made hummus! FAB idea! I need to try that too! also- thanks for the sleeping tips - I slept better last night - but I am wondering if its the weather change that is affecting things too!

KaufusiFamily said...

I too will agree with you two about the "fake" sugar. I just don't like the taste of it. It sort of stings my throat. So... I would definitely say I'm a REAL sugar girl.

But... I'm not a hummus lover. Is there something else that is yummy I could try?? You guys should post some yummy "healthy" recipes we could all try. I love trying new things.

Amy and The Mack Pack said...

Yes! Recipes to come!